Monday, September 8, 2008

"Workbook" vs "Pretty book"

Thank you for your comments. It is important for me to know if my lessons are being received in a way that is understandable to you.

This lesson is going to get you started with your workbook. It is important for you to know the difference between a workbook and a pretty book as I call them.

Your workbook is just that. A 2” 3 ring binder that holds your pedigree and group sheets that you will be doing all your work from. It will hold notes, copies of sources, and etc that has to do with each of the generations in your binder. Even though it is a workbook, it still is kept neat & clean and easy to follow for you or anyone else to work from.

A Pretty Book as I call it is the nice leather binder that will eventually hold your pictures, documents, family Histories and anything else of value to that Family Line. They are books that your family loves to pick up and look at. This one comes later in the lessons.

Now for a supply list of what you need for your working binder:

1- 2 inch, 3 ring binder
2- 1 pkg Clear Protector sheets
3- 4 sets Clear 8-tab dividers
4- 2 sets Colored 5-tab dividers
5- Black felt pen, fine point
6- Scissors
7- 3-hold punch

Supplies for working box:

Box that will hold hanging folders
Box of hanging file folders
Box of 3 or 5 cut (tab) file folders


Because I have seen such a variety of items that come to my class I would like to specify what I like to use best. It really doesn’t matter what you get, it just makes it easier for me to refer to each item the way I do it.

I purchase my binders in a set of (4 ) and my box of clear protector sheets at Costco. The binders are white and depending on how far you go with your genealogy/family history, you will definitely use them all in the future. The box of clear protector sheets will last a long time as well.

I get a label maker for names & numbers as you continue on with your work, but it is something you can get at a later-time.

I purchase my dividers at Staples and use their brand. They will come in a package of 4 sets of dividers. Remember to look for the 5 tabbed COLORED and the 8 tabbed CLEAR ones.

The rest of the supplies you can get anywhere and hopefully you will have most of them in your home already. The binder & supplies will usually be around $20.00 to purchase depending whether you get them on sale or not.

That’s it for now until you have all your supplies for your next lesson. I will be excited to get your comments as you prepare to put your workbook together. Let me know if you have any questions.

Talk with you soon.

No comments: